Everyone love namkeen specially if its little bit sweet and sour in taste. As you know market bought snacks, namkeens are not good for health. So today we are going to make healthy yet delicious snack called chivda namkeen or poha namkeen. Im sure you all love poha for breakfast. U can make this snack or namkeen in advance and store it in a air tight container and eat whenever you want.
My hubby loves to eat namkeen so i will make this and store it in a air tight container so that he can have it whenever he want and stay away from market bought snacks.
Two type of chivda comes in market, first one is thick which we used for making poha and another is thin. Thin poha is perfect for making this namkeen. If you want you can use thick one also but it will take more time.
- Poha(Thin) – 100 gm or 2 cups
- Peanuts – 100 gm or 1 cup (we like more peanuts in namkeen, add as per your preference)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp or as per taste
- Black salt – 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10-12 leaves
- Green chilli – 6-7 slit lengthwise
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
- Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1 pinch
- Mango powder (Amchur) – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cashew(kaju) – 1/2 cup or as per taste
- Raisin (kishmish) – 1/2 cup or as per taste
- Black mirch powder – 1/2 tsp
How to make Chivda Namkeen:
- Heat oil in a large pan or Kadai. Now fry cashew and peanuts on slow heat. Keep stirring continuously for even frying, don’t let it burn. (Adjust peanuts and cashews as per your choice).
- Slit green chillies and chop curry leaves if they are big in length.
- We can use the same oil in which we fried cashews, just make sure to take out extra oil because we need only 1-2 tea-spoons. In the hot oil add mustard seeds, when seeds start spluttering then add asafoetida. Now add split green chilli and curry leaves. Do everything on slow to medium gas so there is no chance of burning.
- Add turmeric and red chilli powder. Mix and after few seconds add all pohain the pan. Mix everything gently then add all the dry spices(cumin powder,chaat masala,black mirch powder,black salt, salt). Now again mix everything and fry it on slow gas till chivda got crisp. Note: How do you know when pohagot crisp: green chilli and curry leaves shrink as shown in image and when you mix it the sound comes different. If you want you may take one spoon namkeen and let it cool. Taste it, if it turns our crispy then follow the next step else let it fry for some time. Thin poha takes very less time in getting crispy as compare to thick poha.
- When poha got crisp then add fried peanuts,cashews and raisin in it. Now again fry it for 2 minutes on slow flame.
- Now your poha or chivda namkeen is ready. Remove pan from flame and let it cool down completely. After cooling down store it in a air tight container and eat whenever you want.
Best to eat with:
You may take it with tea as a normal snack or if you want you may add chopped onions and lemon juice over namkeen, mix and enjoy. And don’t forget to share your experience with us.
Points to remember:
- Do everything on slow heat and keep stirring occasionally so that it doesn’t get burnt.
- If you want you can add dry grated coconut, chopped almonds and market bought mixtures in it to make it more testier.
- Always store it in a air tight container to maintain the crispiness in the mixture.